With the advancements IoT and 5G technologies, enterprises, and OEMs are re-designing traditional business models to Software as a Service (SaaS) and Product as a Service (PaaS). However, while offering everything as a service, enterprises often lose direct control and visibility over business-critical applications hosted on private, public, or hybrid cloud and accessible through multiple networks. To improve availability and response time of cloud-based business-critical applications-as-a-service, it is essential to monitor the performance of end-to-end network topology built using multiple switches and routers.
- Key Challenges: Network Monitoring for End-to-End Network
Some unique challenges of end-to-end network monitoring are:
- Use of multiple tools to monitor end-to-end network
- Adds unnecessary management overload and expensive tools licensing cost
- Manually setting up monitoring for each switches and routers is cumbersome in dynamic resource provisioning environments
Moreover, using traditional siloed tools and technologies such as SNMP agents, sFlow, netFlow to determine the root cause of network unavailability and inefficiency are no longer suffice. The challenge is how quickly can network administrators identify, manage and optimize switches and routers within the network topology to efficiently resolve the root cause behind the network failure or slow response time.
- The Solution: Unified Network Monitoring Solution
For improving the operational efficiency of large enterprise IT infrastructures, it is important to leverage not only the scalability and flexibility of network topology but also an efficient utilization of in-house network resources. Here are some of the key features of unified network monitoring and management tool, which monitors end-to-end network infrastructure round the clock to help you improve network throughput and reduce the downtime of the network.
- Network Topology Formation
- Queue Congestion
- Microburst Detection
- Memory or Flow Table Overflows
- Hop to Hop Latencies
- Device Identification and Commissioning
- Network Asset Utilization – Traffic Management
- Time Synchronization
- Reference Architecture: Building Network Monitoring Solution
There are many opensource and proprietary tools and protocols available in the market to implement key elements of network monitoring solution, but the real magic of ‘Network Telemetry’ lies in the method used to gather, analyze and display the data on a single dashboard. Thumb rule for ‘Network Telemetry’ design is to look for the best modern analytical methods which efficiently and consistently give visibility over the network entire topology, and it must serve as a remedy for the network issues.
The key elements of Network Telemetry solution include:
- Network Device Data Sources
Network monitoring solution identify and connect various type of network data sources, which is also called network assets. These network assets have SDK or NOS with network agent library installed, which is called a Telemetry Agent, to capture or read all the monitoring and control data from that asset. The type of data it gathers from assets solely depends on the analytics requirement, however, it communicates remotely over the secure protocol with multiple network assets to collect data for queue congestion metrics, flow table matrics, port statistics, buffer memory statistics, environmental entities (such as temperature) and more.
- Network Data Collection and Processing
Network Data collection usually uses REST APIs, Google ProtoBuf or other standardized and secure web services to connect and collect data from network assets having telemetry agent library installed. The collected data is an input to the data processing unit, a control and management system for Network Telemetry Enterprise Solution. As shown in architecture diagram, it analyzes data from various data sources and performs data processing tasks to store processed data to the centralized database.
- Network Data Analytics Dashboard
The Data Analytics Dashboard displays the processed data in an intuitive user interface to provide actionable insights in a single view. This ranges from generating simple statistical metrics to inferring problems to recommending solutions to said problems.
- Business Benefits: Unified Network Monitoring Solution for Hybrid Cloud
- Mitigate costly network downtimes
- Schedule network resources to adapt to timely business-critical service demands
- Detection against performance constraints to access network quality
- Resolve network glitches and irregularities in their premature state
- Offer real-time and round the clock monitoring of network assets
- Overcome hard to identify issues of the network such as silent packet drops, load imbalance, protocol bugs and inflated latencies
- Anticipate capacity saturation and accordingly aids to plan resource efficiency benchmarks
- Pinpoint load changes and unwarranted threats to facilitate proactive troubleshooting
- Facilitate to define business strategies based on reports and analytics of the network
- Key Takeaway
Network Telemetry Solution mentioned here offers extensive and useful detection capabilities coupled with dedicated analytics system to collect, trend and correlate observed activity. Thus, one can say that Network telemetry is the foundation of complete network visualization.
Are you looking for unified network monitoring solution for your IT infrastructure? Drop us a message at email@example.com or give us a call on +1 510 358 4310.
About Author: Aalok Shah
Aalok Shah is working in VOLANSYS Technology as a Sr. Engineer. He has served in multiple industry verticals and worked upon many tools and technologies till now in his journey. Being passionate, he always looks forward to the opportunities to bring better solutions on the table. You are welcome to contact him @ LinkedIn